Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread: keeping friends

I really like Amish Friendship bread and so does my family, however, I have a hard time sending work to other people's houses in the name of friendship every 10 days....
So since I am super slow at math, I enlisted my husband's help to modify things a bit to make only one start instead of 4.

The original recipe I got follows but with the changes for 1 start in parenthesis. These directions assume you got a start from someone else. If you didn't you can find starts online.

Today when I made it Nev and Zurich wanted to help again so I pre-measured everything and let them dump it in. In the picture here, I used pistachio pudding and had the kids add some extra green food coloring for fun. So if it's not that appetizing... sorry. :) Oh, and so far we like Lemon pudding the best.

I label my bag like so:

Amish Friendship Bread 325°F for 1 hour

(Directions for 1 start)

____ do Nothing
____ Mush the bag
____ Mush the bag
____ Mush the bag
____ add 1c flour, 1c sugar, 1c milk & Mush
____ Mush the bag
____ Mush the bag
____ Mush the bag
____ Mush the bag
____ Bake following instructions below

Pour entire contents of the bag into a large non-metal bowl: Add

1 ½ c (3/8 c) flour
1 ½ c (3/8 c) sugar
1 ½ c (3/8 c) milk
Then mix well

Measure out 4 (1) separate batters of 1 cup each into a 1 gallon size ziplock bags. Keep 1 starter for yourself and give the others to friends with a copy of this recipe. Be sure to let them know what step you are on. (2.5c solution to start baking)

Preheat oven to 325°

In a different bowl
3 eggs
1c oil
1c sugar
½ c milk
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 c flour
1 large box of pudding any flavor.
Combine and mix

Grease 2 large bread pans or a large bar pan. In a separate bowl mix ½ c sugar, 1 ½ tsp cinnamon. Dust the pans with the mixture. Pour the batter into pans evenly. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the mix in the pans. Bake for 1 hour. Let cool until bread separates from the pans evenly. Serve warm or cold.

Amish Friendship Bread: 1 start modificationAnd


And while I was paying bills:

Laugh-- I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment