Friday, June 5, 2009

Third Person

I'm not talking about adding a third child to our "collection."
that's what the nurse called it as he cleaned off Genève after she was born
I'm talking about talking in the third person.
When I was in elementary school I had a music teacher and about 5 months into the year I was still wondering,
Who is Mrs. Bagley and when is she going to be here?

Mrs. Bagley was referring to herself in the third person.

Mrs. Bagley wants you to sing it like this. That will make
Mrs. Bagley so happy. etc.
So when I figured that out...
I thought it was really dumb that anyone would refer to themselves in the third person.
It was so confusing
.
Yet
here I am
a mother
confusing my child
by referring to myself in the third person.
I don't always do it, but I find myself doing it enough to annoy my third self.

5 comments:

  1. I mean...Oh, how Gina loves you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! that is hilarious. i do that as a preschool teacher sometimes... i hope i'm not confusing all my 4 year olds:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooo do that too! And every time I do it I get so frustrated with myself...but yet will catch myself doing it again and again.

    ReplyDelete