Monday, March 10, 2008

AFP alpha-fetoprotein

Though generally I am loosing baby weight I don't feel fab because of the belly bulge that is not due to the baby but rather my ovarian cyst. It's great when my almost 4 year old says, "that's funny, you have a big fat belly, you gotta stop eating dinner." Doc called today said that all the tests came back normal except for one the AFP was high. I have yet to get the NUMBER. The AFP most women who have recently had a baby know this as the birth defects test.
"It screens for spina bifida and anencephaly. An AFP test can also be done as part of a screening test to find other chromosomal problems, such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21) or Edward syndrome (trisomy 18). An AFP test can find an omphalocele, a congenital problem in which some of the baby's intestines stick out through the belly wall. source

Since the AFP was high I don't sound like a have an option on the surgery. A normal AFP is <5.4

The doctor asked for my schedule so he could call the cancer guys in SLC and set up an appointment but I never heard back today. So I told Gary to go ahead and tell his boss he could go on the business trip he was asked to go on this week. Wed and Thurs. So hopefully the doc doesn't call back tomorrow and want to set something up for Wednesday. I just figured that he hadn't called back yet so it wasn't likely this week. I just hate how everything seems to be on hold because of this thing and we still don't seem to be any closer to getting it resolved. So I figured I would make the call on him going on this trip.

I am so tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment